Friday, October 15, 2010

Mama

Last weekend I had the chance to get away with a friend. We had good food, heard good speakers, and had a good time! She gave me a very special birthday present; she found a t-shirt that has a picture of Africa with the word "eh-my-ay" written across it. This is the sound spelling for the word Mama in Amharic which is the primary language of Ethiopia. I LOVE it and it will be well worn. Thank you Janet.

We found ourselves with a little time on our hands, so we decided to check out Josh Duhamel in "Life as We Know It". (Come on, he has a nice...smile.) Anyway, it's the story of a "couple" who's going through the adoption of a little girl who was orphaned when her parents, their friends, died in a car accident. I'm not recommending the movie; it's okay but not family friendly. I will remember this movie because of one small part that caught me completely off guard...when the little girl calls her new caregiver Mama. Wow! I cannot explain the depth of emotion I felt when I realized there is a little girl in Africa who was born to another woman and will someday call ME Mama. What an amazing God we serve who knew Amelia would not be my youngest daughter.

Right now, I am struggling with the fact that our little girl doesn't know we are coming for her. My prayer is that God will comfort her and give her a confidence that she is not alone.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so I'm a little behind. I guess I have to feel kind of puney to get a little down time these days. I wanted you to know, though, that when I read this post, I cried again! Praying for you and your LG! Love ya! Janet

    ReplyDelete