Friday, January 27, 2012

What a Difference a Year Can Make!

I have been silent for far too long, but this occasion demands that I take the time to sit down and share my heart and what the Lord has done.

The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy! Psalm 126:3

You see, one year ago today I saw my youngest daughter's beautiful smile for the very fist time.  This was the day she went from being LG (short for Little Girl unknown, but loved) to Nazeret.  My beautiful seven year old Ethiopian daughter, Nazeret Hope Kuykendall.

You know the famous line "Every time a bell rings an angel gets its wings"?  Well, that is what it was like on that sweet day a year ago.  You see, our agency encourages each family to get to know and support other families on the adoption journey.  We communicate through a yahoo group; at that time, I had my iPhone set to "ding" every time I received an email.  On this day a year ago some family, I am sorry to say that I do not remember who, was matched with their little angel and the yahoo group was celebrating.  As I drove to the school to get Amelia, my phone went crazy and my tears started to flow.  This much activity could only mean that there was about to be one less orphan in this world.  I could not wait to park my car and check it out.

Much to my surprise and delight there had been a match made in heaven, but there was also a lot of chatter about a beautiful seven year old girl that had just been added to the list of children waiting for a forever family.  My heart started to race and my mind went even faster.  I could barely function to direct my phone to the internet address...and then...there she was...my daughter was looking at me with the most beautiful smile.  As they say "the rest is history".

So here we are a year later and Nazeret has been in our home for seven months and EVERYTHING has changed!  Our family has grown and been changed in ways that we NEVER could have imagined.  God has birthed the most amazing and crazy love in my heart for this child that did not grow in my tummy.  I knew He would, but I couldn't have imagined this.  She brings me such joy!  But that's not all....

God used this past year or so to open our eyes and change our hearts.  Michela now feels strongly called to missions in Africa.  She is going back this summer.  We have a passion to love Jesus by caring for widows and orphans.  Our definition of "need" and "want" has been forever changed. Praise the Lord!

As you can see, our sweet Nazeret has grown and OH how that personality has blossomed.  She is healthy and thriving.  Her English blows my mind and she is doing great in first grade.  My baby has a love for HER Jesus that is so beautiful it makes my heart flutter.  God is so good and we are so blessed!  

Thank you for sharing in our journey.

1 comment: